Veterinarians Remove Chew Toy Lodged in Dog’s Lower Jaw
Veterinarians had to sedate a dog after a chew toy became lodged onto her lower jaw.
Playing with the toy turned into a very stressful situation for Daisy, a seven-month-old-black Labrador retriever, after it got lodged onto her lower jaw.
“She required sedation because it was very tightly stuck over her lower jaw, and the doctor removed it by cutting a portion of the toy off with a cast saw, a saw that will not damage soft tissues, but will cut more rigid items,” explained Alicia Z. Karas DVM, DACVAA, hospital director at Tufts Veterinary Emergency Treatment and Specialties in Walpole, Massachusetts.
The dog’s owner initially went to the Wrentham, Massachusetts, fire station and asked the fire personnel if they could help. Emergency medical staff there determined that Daisy didn’t have a compromised airway, but that she was in distress. They tried to use a hydraulic cutter to free the object, but were unsuccessful.
“The owners brought the dog in [to Tufts Veterinary Emergency Treatment and Specialties in Wrentham, Mass.] at the suggestion of the fire department,” says Dr. Karas. “We are all deeply appreciative for their willingness to help a doggie in trouble.
“Many types of toys, bones and rawhide chews as well as other household items and sticks have the potential to become lodged in the mouth or esophagus, to splinter and penetrate and cause injury,” says Dr. Karas. “These types of problems are seen by our emergency team from time to time. Cats are particularly fond of playing with and ingesting yarn, string, ribbon and thread, so those items should always be put away, since very little is actually beyond the reach of a determined cat! We encourage people to always supervise their dogs and cats with toys, chew toys, and sticks, and if a problem is noticed, the best thing to do is to take them to their veterinarian or nearest veterinary emergency facility for evaluation.”
Meanwhile, Daisy is back home under the watchful eye of her owners.