APCC Practical Toxicology
APCC Practical ToxicologyIlluminating the Toxicity of Fireworks
It is Fourth of July weekend, and you are prepared for the many unscheduled appointments, from patients with gastroenteritis due to downing hot dogs to those suffering from noise phobia. However, the patients you end up seeing are neither fearful nor full of food. In the exam room, Mrs. Smith explains that her dog ate firecrackers. A technician takes a phone call and reports that Mr. Jones is coming in—his dog ingested sparklers. Then the whole Doe family arrives with their dog: while walking by the river this morning, Fido chewed on remains of the municipal fireworks.
APCC Practical Toxicology Treating Fertilizer Ingestions? As Easy As N-P-K
Dr. Charlotte Means of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discusses types of fertilizers to which pets are commonly exposed and provides tips on diagnosing and managing fertilizer ingestion.