According to a statement from the American Veterinary Medical Association, calls to the Veterinary Services Poison Helpline about accidental marijuana ingestion in pets has surged 448% over the past six years (source: NBC News).
As the number of states legalizing the recreational use of the marijuana continues to rise, pet owners should take the necessary precautions to protect their pets.
The ASPCA Poison Control Center advises that if there is something in your pets’ environment, there is always a chance that they could ingest it. If someone in your client’s household may have marijuana or THC infused products in their home, there are a number of helpful tips they should know to keep their pets safe.
According to the ASPCA, it is best practice to treat marijuana as a medication and keep it far out of paws’ reach. This is especially important for THC-infused edible products.
It is also important to be able to recognize physical and cognitive signs of marijuana ingestion in pets. These include:
- Unsteadiness on the feet
- Dilated eyes
- Dribbling urine
- Sensitivity to sound and touch
- Slow heart rate and low body temperature
If a client suspects that a pet has ingested marijuana, advise them to contact their veterinarian immediately or call the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at 888-426-4435.
For more information on the dangers of marijuana ingestion for pets, click here.